Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 16- Transformation

"A lunch date still counts as a date, right?" Tracy asked playfully. She looked amazing in a light blue button down and pencil skirt. Her hair was down, but the top pulled back and tied behind her head. "Only if you let me pay" I said, handing the waiter my menu. I looked around the room. Being close to so many businesses this was a popular place for lunch, and with the exception of a few people in jeans, everyone was dressed business casual. I looked back at Tracy, who was taking a sip of her lemonade. "So... Keep plugging away tonight?" She asked. I nodded. "If you're willing, I am." We had been meeting at my place every night since Saturday, organizing and cataloging all the supplies. "You know one thing I think we're missing?" She asked. "Snacks. I think we were so focused on essentials that we forgot things like candy and snacks and stuff." I nodded in agreement. "We have those granola bars, but some chocolate would be good. I wonder what the shelf life is like?" Tracy shrugged. "If it's gonna go bad then I'll be happy to take care of it." She smiled.

The hostess tried her best to prevent him from making a scene, but her inability to understand what he was saying seemed to frustrate him.
Our casual conversation was interrupted by commotion at the front of the restaurant. A man was arguing with the hostess, growling in an almost unintelligible tone. He was tall with deep, dark skin, and dressed in rags. The way he moved and talked he seemed injured or inebriated. The hostess tried her best to prevent him from making a scene, but her inability to understand what he was saying seemed to frustrate him. Desperate, he grabbed her with both hands, mumbling and spitting as he shook her. She turned her head in fear, struggling to get away. Another man came racing from the back of the restaurant and identified himself as the Manager. Attempting to lead the man outside by the arm, he only succeeded in making him angry. Suddenly his back arched and he began to bellow as if in massive pain. Unsteady on his feet, he flopped onto a nearby table, spilling drinks and food onto the laps of the surprised customers. Pushing himself upright before collapsing again, he reached for the man closest to him, who backed away terrified. In the background the hostess was calling the authorities while the Manager tried to regain control of the situation.

Every eye in the building was on this growing inferno, and he paused, looking around the room as if pleading for someone to help him. Another dose of pain sent him into a rage, and the women screamed and men gasped as he slammed his head into a nearby wall over and over. The Manager looked helpless and took a step back to avoid getting injured.

"He looked down at himself as though he could sense something changing within him, and looked back into my eyes. He held my gaze and I watched in horror as the color drained out of his retinas."
I looked at Tracy and could tell she too could recognize the behavior. I moved cautiously toward the violent man, moving slowly to the left until I could see his eyes. I was within a few feet when he suddenly stopped, stood upright, and turned to me. He stared into my eyes. There was a mix of pain and sorrow in them, and his lips curled as if pleading for understanding. His sadness turned to confusion and then to fear. He looked down at himself as though he could sense something changing within him, and looked back into my eyes. He held my gaze and I watched in horror as the color drained out of his retinas. He stared at me blankly, all the emotion draining from his face... And then he attacked.

I heard Tracy scream as his body came smashing down on top of me, sending us both through a dividing wall and into the next room. Plates and glasses flew everywhere, crashing as they landed. Something sharp cut into my leg, and I felt his hands wrapping around my neck. Suddenly his weight doubled and I saw Tracy on his back, grabbing at his head. Her knee was planted firmly in the back of back of his neck and she pulled up and to the left. Hearing a "pop" he dropped on top of me, unmoving. I felt lightheaded and dizzy, and as I saw Tracy stand above me everything faded to black.

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up, I'm thoroughly enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it, I'm hooked! I'm really looking forward to read the next one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to listen to dubstep when i read for some reason. I'm listening to Skrillex's Imma Try It Out

    ReplyDelete