Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 17- Fitful Dreams

I'm standing in front of a pair of large wrought iron gates. They loom over me like a doorway into darkness, and I back away from their rough, menacing appearance. Where am I and how did I get here? I remember hands around my throat, a throbbing pain in my leg, and... someone. Someone who saved me...

Its dark I feel myself start to slip. Looking behind me I see that I am standing on the edge of a massive, seemingly bottomless cliff. Cut off on the right and the left, there is no where to go but through the gates. Pensively, I take a step toward them. Thick fog surrounds me on all sides, and the air is cold and damp. I smell decaying leaves, dirt, and the hint of a campfire.

"Forcing myself to action I take a step back, and almost fall over a large tombstone looming up out of the fog. It is cold but the granite crumbles easily under my touch, as though the rock itself is decaying."
I approach the gate, placing my hand on the thick iron. A large latch holds the two sides together, and it grinds as I lift it up to open the gate. Despite its size the gate moves easily and silently, and I pass through cautiously. I can see the shapes of old twisted trees all around me, and the ground is soft beneath my feet, as though it had been recently turned. Beneath the trees there are shapes, unrecognizable from the fog blankets they wear. To my right I hear a crack and a low, quiet tearing sound, as though something is being detached. A putrid, disgusting smell fills my nose, and I watch in horror as a something begins to move in the mist a little ways off. It has the form of a man, and seems to be attempting to stand. It limps to an upright position, and begins shuffling towards me. I am frozen in fear. It's face is mildewed and rotten, and what little skin is left hangs gaunt, covered in pale, fleshy maggots. It's eyes are yellow and unfocused. The creature moves toward me blindly, driven by something other than sight or sound: something instinctive. Forcing myself to action I take a step back, and almost fall over a large tombstone looming up out of the fog. It is cold but the granite crumbles easily under my touch, as though the rock itself is decaying. The creature moves slowly but steadily toward me, and I place the tombstone between us, backing up carefully as the it struggles to navigate. Behind me I hear more movement, and turn to see another shape pulling itself up out of the mist. Its arm is hanging down loosely, as though it could easily be discarded. I move to the right, keeping both creatures where I can see them.

Looking around for something to defend myself, I approach the nearest tree. It's dark, knarly bark seems unnatural and is covered with bugs and old, wet cobwebs. The thin, sparse branches look underdeveloped and oddly deformed above the thick, wide trunk. I attempt to remove a limb but it holds fast, as though made of steel. The creatures advance on me slowly, and I grab a branch, pulling myself up into the tree. From this vantage point I can see more trees, and more shapes looming out of the fog, stumbling toward me. As the creatures gathered below me, I feel the ground shake and the tree slowly begins to sink into the soft dirt, bringing me closer and closer to the bony outreached hands.

In desperation I leap over the monsters and land on the soft dirt behind them. Getting up rapidly, I head for the silent gates and close them tight behind me, flipping the large metal latch down into place. Dozens of these nightmares move toward the gate, their rotten bodies reaching for me, desperately wanting to embrace me. They push against the bars and the gates hold fast. I watch as they are joined by dozens more.

I heard the crack of bones breaking as the pressure from those behind crush the skulls of those in front, the hard iron refusing to yield. Their eye sockets and broken jaws are dropping to the ground, yet their limbs keep coming, as though powered by some external force. Their collective weight is beginning to take it's toll, and the gate begins lurching. Harder and harder they push, their choking moans deafening in my ears. Suddenly, with the sound of wrenching metal the gate comes down, crashing toward me. I have no choice but to turn and jump off the edge into the abyss below...

I wake, bright light blinding me and the horrific smells gone. As my eyes adjust I see my mother standing next to my bed, talking to a man in a white labcoat. "Where am I?" I ask groggily. She looks relieved. "You're at the hospital. You've been unconscious for almost 2 days..."

1 comment: