Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 15- Munn-day

"At what point do we stop coming to work?" Tracy asked. "I mean, it's getting worse, right? Is this the end of everything?" I could tell she was still pretty shaken from yesterday's encounter. "That's getting a little apocalyptic for a Monday don't you think?" She sank into the chair next to my desk. "I think the worst part is not knowing. If I knew it was caused by dirty spoons, I'd avoid silverware. If it was from not washing your hands..." she pulled a massive bottle of hand sanitizer out of her purse. "Good grief!" I said in shock. "Isn't that heavy?" She laughed. "I didn't have anything smaller so I grabbed it out of our Costco stash yesterday. You can't be too safe." she squirted a glob into her palm and then rubbed her hands together, looking at me expectantly. I smiled and took and handful. "I just wish I knew." she sighed. "It's scary feeling like it could be anyone. I mean, first Lucas goes nuts in a closet, then that truck driver, now your neighbor..." Jeff stuck his head over the wall. "Your neighbor turned into a Zombie? What happened? Did he try to eat your brain?" Tracy smacked him in the nose with a folder from off my desk. "Ow!" he played, rubbing his nose. "Seriously though, who tried to eat your brain? Wait... did you get bitten?" he started rifling his hands through Tracy's hair as though looking for an injury. She smacked his hand away and stood up, backing away. "Get off me!" Dwayne, seeing the commotion came over "Someone tried to eat your brain? Who was it?" Tracy and I looked at each other, knowing that this would only get worse unless we gave them something. "I was on my way back home from renting a storage unit. Tracy was waiting for me at my house in the moving truck and..." I saw Tracy hesitate and suddenly realized what I just implied. My mind raced. I didn't want to reveal the preparations we were making, the massive amount of supplies we had purchased together, or the locations where we would be storing these supplies in case of an actual outbreak, but I also didn't want to imply that Tracy and I were a couple, at least not until we actually were, which I was hoping might happen soon but which I couldn't say out loud. My mind started racing and I started feeling trapped and embarrassed. "Everyone! Conference room now!" the managers called out. Jeff and Dwayne looked cheated as they filed obediently to the glass room in the center of the office.

The conference room was long and thin, all glass walls and a single whiteboard which could be used as a projector screen opposite the door. As we filed in we saw a man in a stiff black suit standing in the back of the room. He had a stern, calculating look on his face, and seemed to be evaluating us as we entered. I sat down next to Tracy and whispered "Sorry about that. I really didn't mean to imply that we were moving in together. I'll clear it up after the meeting." I promised. Tracy smiled knowingly and patted me on the knee. "No, I'll take care of it. You just stay focused on the plan." She was beginning to sound like the brains of our little operation, and that was okay by me.

The managers all seemed overly cheerful, as though they felt obligated to "pump us up" after last week's fiasco. It seemed so long ago that Lucas dropped dead not 20 feet from this room. Hopefully someone will help us understand what happened last week, and what's being done to keep us all safe. "Hope everyone had a good weekend. Anyone do anything fun?" I glanced at Tracy and realized that Jeff was watching me. "Just keep digging the hole there bucko." Tracy whispered without looking at me.

The managers made a few announcements and then pulled up some commercial the Marketing team had just completed. As everyone watched, I looked at the man in the suit. He seemed to have no interest in the film, was intensely focused on the people in the room. After the film and some weak applause, one of the Managers directed our attention to the stranger.

"You've probably noticed that we've been joined by a corporate representative- Mr Munn." He gestured toward the stranger in the suit. The man made an attempt to smile and wave but it came across like he'd just crapped in his pants and didn't want us to know. He seemed awkward and uncomfortable with the attention, and backed up into the corner even more. "Mr. Munn will be meeting with each of the department heads this week. Please make sure your calendars are updated and accommodate any requests he might have." The manager was about to conclude the meeting when Tracy's hand shot up. "What's he doing here?" The Managers all looked at each other nervously. Mr. Munn stepped out of the shadows with an ominous grin, his eyes focused on Tracy like a predator about to pounce. "Efficiency expert Ms. Ramirez. I'll be making sure you are leading your department according to policy and that your processes are airtight." Tracy didn't back down or seem intimidated. "And if you find inefficiencies I assume you'll be on hand to assist us in improving them?" She asked boldly, looking directly in his eyes. One of the Managers interrupted "We'll all work together, synergizing as a team!" The managers urged everyone back to their desks but Tracy kept her eyes locked on Mr. Munn, not backing down at all. Mr. Munn looked wickedly at Tracy, as though he was simply waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

"What was THAT about?" I asked when we got back to Tracy's desk. "Mr. Munn- I think I've seen him before." she said pensively. "And he's NOT from corporate." She drummed her pen on the desk, nervously looking in the direction of the conference room. "I can see those wheels turning" I said. "Who is he? Where have you seen him?" She hesitated and looked me in the eyes. "I can't be sure, but I think he was one of the guys in the white labcoats from the the other day. The ones who carried away the truck driver."

1 comment:

  1. I'm intrigued. And kinda creeped out. I feel like I might need to make a trip to Costco today for emergency supplies.

    ReplyDelete