Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 90- Elevation

In my zeal to put distance between the walking dead and myself I was a bit too liberal with the accelerator and the tires spun in the mud for a second before catching and initiating movement.  

I glanced in the rear view mirror, though it was so dark out I wasn't sure what I expected to see. Perhaps the visual confirmation that nothing was grabbing onto the rear of the van was necessary to calm my nerves. I gripped the wheel tightly, stretching my eyebrows upward in an effort to open my exhausted eyes just a little bit more. The lids felt heavy and the moisture from the rain combined with the droning of the windshield defroster made me long for sleep.  I had many miles yet to go and didn't dare pull over to rest, especially in the dark. 

I almost missed the rusty stop sign in the pouring rain. My headlights flashed across it and it took a moment to register in my brain.  I pushed on the brakes and slid several feet before stopping.  I backed up slowly, hoping not to get stuck, and looked at the stop sign.  

The reflective surface was almost gone and it was covered in the familiar orange-red of oxidation. Looking at my map I compared the distance to my odometer. I had traveled 24.8 miles, this must be the sign the map referred to.  I turned right and saw the road diving deep into the woods and almost immediately start climbing up a series of hills that lead to the mountain beyond.  Would my tires have the tread required to ascend this great height in the current conditions?  I didn't have any other option.  

I shifted the van into a lower gear and headed through the thick mud, hoping I wouldn't be stranded somewhere on the side of the road and forced to walk in the dark.  The storm seemed to sense my fear and the intensity of the rain increased, falling from the clouds in massive, powerful drops.  The sound was deafening, and my mind raced nervously. Would the road be washed out ahead?  Should I be worried about mudslides?  Disastrous scenarios began playing through my mind and I had to remind myself how far I had come in such a short time. This couldn't be the end. Not after all I'd done to get to her. 

I ignored my fear and focused on her face. In my mind I could see her smiling, looking at me from across the conference room, a sweet, playful glance that have me hope and steeled my nerves for this final leg of my journey. I was so close, and soon I would see her. I pushed my foot on the accelerator and felt the van pull forward slowly. 

The road climbed steadily up the hill, weaving left and curving right as it climbed, snake-like, to the peak. Tree branches leaned over the road, scraping the van as I passed them.  I stayed as far away from the edge as I could, knowing that the slightest nudge could send me diagonally onto the trees and down the side of the mountain. 

As I rounded the bend I could see the gas station down below, nestled next to the dark strip of road that led to the freeway.  I'd never been in this part of the country, and the view was tremendous. In the distance I could see the city beyond, dark and menacing with only the flicker of uncontrolled flames to illuminate her shape. I took one last look and then turned down the other side of the mountain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment