Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 82- Quick Inventory

As I sat in the darkness I could hear the scratching of bony fingers on the door. They made long, searching scrapes, as though their owners were looking for something, a hole, a handle, anything they could use to open the door and obtain the tasty treat inside. I bit my lip, trying not to make any noise. Even the smallest sound could indicate that I was still here, and I needed them to believe I had gone. 

My stomach gurgled, reminding me of the hunger I had not satiated. I patted my hand around the passenger seat, looking for the backpack I had tossed there while I was loading up.  It contained my 72-hour kit, everything I thought I would need in the event of an emergency. I had stored it in the unit with everything else, something I regretted doing a few days ago when I had reached my apartment. 

I unzipped the front pocket and reached inside. Past a few packets of freeze dried food I clasped my hands around the barrel of a solar powered flashlight. I removed it from the bag and switched it on. The light immediately blinded me and I closed them until my pupils could adjust again. Slowly opening them I felt like a victim of a cave in, stuck inside this small hole hoping someone would come rescue me. The slow banging on the door reminded me that the only rescuers within range probably would be infected by this horrific virus, mutated beyond recognition and now determined to eat me alive. 

I pulled one of the freeze fried packets out and read the printing on the exterior. "Turkey with gravy" it said in a font that reminded me of a dot matrix printer. I found the corner with the easy tear knick and pulled it horizontally. The plastic covered aluminum tore easily and the smell of thanksgiving day filled my nostrils. I pulled the two sides apart forming a sort of cup and reached two fingers down into the pouch. Pulling the patty of meat out about halfway I turned my head sideways and bit into it. It was fantastic. A wave of sensations washed over me and I felt energy flowing into my exhausted muscles. I took another bite, savoring it against my tongue before chewing it and letting it slip down my throat. I'm sure a few weeks ago I would have balked at the prospect of having this as a meal, but in my current situation I felt like I was eating a royal banquet. 

I finished the meat patty and tipped the packet upward, draining every drop of gravy from the pouch. Tossing it out the door onto the floor I reached in the bag for a drink.  I had stocked my bag with a mix of bottles water and sports drinks, and grabbed something blue with a reference to a waterfall on the label. I drank it down thirstily, spilling some of the sticky fluid down my chin and into my shirt. 

Still hungry, I reached into my bag for another packet of food. I pulled out a smaller packet with the words "Chocolate brownie" printed in repetition along the circumference. I tore it open greedily and sank my teeth into the stiff bar of cake. I chewed rapidly, eager for the next bite. Finishing it quickly I grabbed another from my bag and repeated the process. By the time I was done I had devoured "Chicken and Rice," "Ham Slice" and "Pineapple Upside-Down Cake" along with another bottle of sports drink, this one yellow and decorated with lightning bolts.  I tossed the bottle onto the floor below me with the rest of the garbage and leaned back in my chair, stretching my stomach.  

In my enthusiasm for my meal I hadn't even noticed the noise at the door. A few slow, scraping fingers were now replaced by what sounded like dozens of bony hands, some scratching and others banging. The noise was unsettling and I tried to distract myself by taking inventory. I emptied the contents of my bag onto the seat, shuffling my hands through the various items I began organizing them into piles.  A long sleeve shirt, three more food packets, a multi-tool, extra batteries, a rolled up fleece blanket, a rain poncho, four bottles of water, two sports drinks, and a simple first aid kit. 

I put it all back into the backpack, leaving the food and water in a separate pocket in case something leaked. The pounding on the door was getting louder. Either there were more of them or they were getting angrier. The deafening sound echoed inside the small unit and I squinted, trying to drown it out of my thoughts. 

If they came through that door I wanted to be ready. I moved between the seats and turned to the back of the van, climbing over the stacks of bottled water and camping chairs.  This stuff could use a little organization too, but I felt my body calling for sleep and I needed to move quick. 

I grabbed the long plastic case and sat down on a box of MREs. Opening it carefully I admired the shiny black metal of the brand new AR-15. I assembled it rapidly, leaving the scope off. I never had time to sight it in and I couldn't depend on its accuracy. For now I would simply use the iron sights and would probably even end up shooting from the hip. I opened an ammunition box and loaded all four magazines. Placing the first three in the pockets of my thick jacket I slapped the final into the weapon, looking down the sight before resting it between the front seats. 

The pounding on the door was increasing, and I stood up and shone my headlamp through the front windshield to ensure there weren't any breaches. Satisfied that I was still relatively safe in my little coffin I repeated the process with the second gun, loading it and placing it next to its sister in the front. 

Sleep was tugging at my eyes, something that felt impossible with the tumult outside. I moved back up to the front seat and stepped out of the van, carefully inspecting the door one last time. I stood off to the left, shining my light on the center of the door.  The metal door flexed and bent but did not break. The rollers all seemed solid, and there was no sign of stress. I don't know if Lou was the one who commissioned such fine craftsmanship, but the door seemed solid.  

I walked the narrow space to the back of the van and opened the gate. In the crowded room I couldn't open it all the way, but it was enough to get two of the fuel cans out. I uncapped them and poured their contents into the gas tank. I left the others in the back in case something happened to the van. At least that way I could use the cans to fuel up a new vehicle without having to siphon this tank. 

I closed the back and climbed back into the driver's seat, rolling up the windows and leaving the key in the ignition, just in case I needed to quickly start the engine. With the windows rolled up it was hotter, but the sound was muffled a bit and I declined my seat as much as it allowed me and closed my eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment