Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 63- Domestic Reinstatement

My feet were killing me, and it felt like my mouth was full of sand. I stopped my relentless pace and sat on the guardrail overlooking the swampy marsh behind me.  Taking off one shoe I emptied several small pebbles onto the pavement.  I needed water.  

Lacing my shoe back up I walked slowly toward the other side of the freeway.  I was only about a mile from the exit by my apartment, and I stared nervously down the road.  What would I find?  If nothing else I hoped to find the water worked.  I needed a shower and a good nights sleep.  

I hopped the guardrail and ran, my anticipation giving me new energy.  Abandoned cars zig-zagged across my path, and I moved between them quickly.  A few walkers stood near a minivan, stumbling aimlessly as though they were bored.  As I passed by them they turned and began to follow me.  A few others ahead of me moved toward the sound of my feet on the pavement, and I dodged their sweeping arms, hurling myself towards my destination.  A stitch was growing in my side and I knew I wouldn't be able to maintain this pace for long.  I looked behind me and saw a group gathering, following me as best they could.  There was at least 20 of them now, all shambling along, moving my direction with a slow but determined resolve.  I could see the morning sun reflecting in their caked yellow eyes, covered with the mucus I had come to associate with the infected.  I pushed forward, determined to lose them before I reached my home.  

The once familiar streets were foreign to me now.  Store windows were smashed, broken by looters, their contents emptied out.  More of the infected stood on the sidewalks and in the street, staring blankly at the ground or up into the sky.  I moved quickly and silently between them, triggering their blank stares into curious action.  How could they tel between me and other infected?  I wondered if it was by smell, but in my current state I had to stink just as bad as they did.  

My building loomed ahead, and a feeling of eagerness mixed with nervousness creeped in.  What would I find? I rounded the corner and saw the familiar parking lot, most of the garages open and empty.  My garage was open as well, and it looked as though someone had pulled almost everything off the small shelf toward the back.  I thought of my jeep, now destroyed, found at the bottom of that lake.  It reminded me of so much.  A moan behind me spurred me to action and I turned to see two infected women hobbling toward me.  One was heavyset and wore a house dress covered with looney tunes characters, the other a trim little athlete in jogging attire.  I couldn't help but think how this duo was unlikely to be freinds in their past lives, but would wander together now for...  Well, forever I guess.  

I didn't want them to trace me to my apartment, so I decided to take them on a little distraction run.  I moved toward my neighbor's house, cutting outward toward the parking spot where he used his hammer on his bumper.  I remembered the feeling of confusion as I saw him pounding on his own vehicle.  I wrapped around the back of a truck and ducked down.  The two mindless women wandered back, sniffing for any sign and listening intently for movement.  I crept low and silent along the opposite edge, ducking behind another vehicle before doubling back toward my apartment.  As I moved up the first floor landing I looked down and saw them slapping their arms idly on the car as though their weak effort would reveal my location.  

I looked down the hallway and didnt see anything.  Moving rapidly to my door I tapped my code into the keypad and heard the familiar click and whir of the motor in my digital lock.   I opened the door slowly, looking inside cautiously.  The familiar smell of home filled my nose and I instantly relaxed.  Closing the door quietly behind me, I stood in my living room.  The blinds were drawn, so the room seemed dark and quiet.  I moved to the kitchen, opening the fridge.  The smell of a few rotting leftovers wasnt enough to overpower me, but I quickly shut the door.  I tried the sink and was greeted with a hollow echo instead of the gushing stream I hoped for.  Opening the pantry door I saw a few bottles of water in the back of a cardboard tray.  I grabbed them and quickly emptied one.  The water was amazing, and I downed the second after a large gasp of air.  I had one bottle left and decided to save it for later. Hopefully my storage unit would be intact but if not I would need this water later.  

My bedroom was just as I left it, and a mixture of laughter and tears came out of my mouth as I tossed myself onto the mattress.  My pillows were a cool comfort and I slipped into sleep almost instantly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment