Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 59- Leap of Faith

I stuck the tip of my axe under the thick metal framing and pulled back hard.  Slowly the ramp lifted slightly, and Oliver pushed the can of creamed corn under the edge.  "Okay," he said.  "Let it down." I looked at him incredulously. "It's going to crush that can!" I said, but Oliver just smiled. "Nope." He said triumphantly. "Just watch." I decreased the pressure on my axe and watched the ramp lower down onto the can and sit firmly on top. It didn't crush. "We did a science experiment where we played with different shapes and materials to see whIch could support the most weight." I was impressed. The can was holding up at least 100 lbs, probably a lot more. "Now, stick your axe back there and pry up again" he said, pointing at a point further back.  "We'll keep doing this over and over until we can flip this thing over."

The process seemed simple enough. I guess it took a young mind to figure it out. I placed the axe a bit further down this time, being sure to leave enough space that Oliver could brace it with the can. He did so, and I released my grip on the axe handle. It still held. We repeated this four times until we had enough of an angle that we could lift it. Getting on either side, we heaved with all our might, pushing the ramp into a completely vertical position and then felt a moment of weightlessness combined with a surge of adrenaline. The ramp tipped slowly backwards and then fell rapidly to the ground, locking into place behind the truck with a tremendous clang.

We allowed ourselves a momentary celebration, but knew the noise would draw out every infected monsters within a mile. "We don't have much time." I said, racing down the ramp and climbing into the truck. "We have to get enough speed to clear that barricade, and it would only take one or two of those things to slow us down." We buckled our safety belts and I looked forward, staring at the massive ramp and debating the intelligence of this act. I looked over at Oliver, who was once again gripping the handle of his hammer, knuckles white and face staring directly ahead.

I put the truck in reverse and backed up slowly, throwing my arm over the back of the seat as I turned my head. We moved back about 100 feet and stopped. I put the truck in drive and stared forward. "What are you waiting for?" Oliver asked. I stared at the ramp ahead and felt the creeping nervousness of doubt filling my veins. Was I crazy for doing this?  Would we completely destroy our truck with this foolhardy attempt?  I looked to my left and saw the clean, empty road stretching on for miles. This risk, it paid off, would mean freedom, the ability to cover more distance with less risk. I pursed my lips, ignoring the warning bells screaming in my ears. 

The engine roared as I pushed hard on the accelarator. The truck lurched forward and pulled us rapidly toward the ramp. Small corrections in our steering seemed to make massive changes in our trajectory, and as we picked up speed it became increasingly difficult to keep the vehicle in line with the ramp. 

30, 35, 40 miles per hour. This was too fast.  I pulled my foot off the gas but the pedal stuck.  45...  50... The truck hit the lip of the ramp and lurched upward, pushing us down into our seats. The truck leapt off the edge and the engine roared loudly as the wheels lost connection with the ground. A momentary feeling of weightlessness filled our heads as the truck tipped forward, back down toward the ground. 

SLAM! The front bumper hit first, meeting the concrete road with tremendous force. Unyielding, we felt the pull of arrested momentum launch us against our safety belts. The truck lurched upward and I felt a string of terror as we turned upside down.  Momentary pain filled my head and everything went black. 

No comments:

Post a Comment