Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 48- Flight

The world was completely different than I had left it. It appears my short time below ground was enough to dive the surface into chaos. Sirens rang through the air and the normally busy, bustling streets and businesses were abandoned. I rounded the corner where I had parked the jeep and found it missing, a fact that both terrified me and brought relief at the same time. If the jeep was missing, Tracy was probably the one who took it. She might still be safe, and I knew exactly where she would have gone.

Our storage unit was across town, probably 10-20 miles away. Such a distance would not have caused a problem before, but on foot amidst the chaos, I worried about my ability to arrive in a timely manner. Would Tracy be safe? Could she protect herself alone? I was determined to get to her.

An explosion shook the sidewalk below my feet and I looked up into the sky. It came from behind the row of buildings behind me and I turned to see a cloud of smoke billowing upward into the sky. It seemed to be where the gas station was. Had that flame truck accidentally lit one of the pumps? I hurried in the opposite direction, looking for some mode of transportation. I heard the familiar crunch of broken glass and looked at the shattered window of a toy store next to me. Inside someone was moving, perhaps several people. The dark shapes advanced rapidly toward me, shuffling awkwardly as they emerged into the light. I stepped back instinctively but saw two old women, homeless by the look of them, carrying armfuls of toys. As their eyes met mine they instantly froze, waiting to see if I would condone their actions amidst the chaotic world. I gave a disapproving frown which they returned, and walked around me with dropping anything. One mumbled something to the other and they both laughed out loud, their humor no doubt directed toward me. I was about to continue when I saw a flash of silver metal in the light. My eyes fell on a razor scooter, probably the floor model as it showed significant wear and tear. I looked left and right, wondering if the joke those ladies told had anything to do with the fact that perhaps we all found ourselves on even ground now. Rapidly I snatched the scooter and pushed myself down the empty sidewalk.

It was getting dark, and I still had miles to go.  I felt stupid pushing the thin little scooter along the deserted sidewalk.  I felt wobbly and vulnerable, as though any minute I would be ambushed by a pack of those things and would have no way to protect myself.  The light was fading as the day drew on, and the narrow streets began to open up.  A car was stopped up ahead with its light on, engine running.  As I got closer I could see movement inside.  Blood splattered on the interior of the windshield and as I focused my eyes I could see something leaning over the driver.  It was smaller than a normal human, and wore green overalls.  I turned in horror as I realized this could have been a young child or small teenager sitting in the back of its parents car.  I immediately steered away from the horrible scene, the image burned into my eyes.

The rest of the intersection was vacant, stoplights flashing a cautionary yellow, and a few wisps of paper wafting in the breeze.  I crossed a small bridge and glanced over the edge.  A few bodies floated in the water, slowly making their way out to the ocean I suppose.  Pushing on, a rounded a corner and saw the shopping mall loom ahead.  Hundreds of cars were parked in the various parking structures that surrounded the massive edifice, and I immediately stopped.  Remembering the size of the horde I encountered below ground, I looked nervously about.  The capacity of this mall was large, and on a weekend evening like this it could have literally been filled with hundreds if hot thousands of people.  I slowly made my way along the outskirts, wondering if my little mode of transportation would outrun the monsters I was sure were inside.

Keeping a steady eye on the main entrance, I worked my way around the outside edge of the parking structure nearest me, trying my best to keep in the shadows growing longer every minute.  It was beginning to get dark enough that visibility would be a challenge.  I thought of the behavior of my previous attackers and wondered if the beasts would have an advantage in the dark.  I heard a sniffle to my right and immediately turned, holding up my scooter like a shield.  It was an older man, probably in his 70's.  His legs were torn to shreds, the last few breaths still hanging on his lips.  I approached him cautiously, unaware of what his reaction might be.  As my footfalls grew closer he looked in my direction.  He smiled and nodded, gesturing me to come closer.  I knelt beside him and he grasped my hand and pulled me close to his face.  No words escaped his lips but I could see the pleading in his eyes.  He looked over to the left and gestured toward the parked cars.  Patting me on the shoulder he handed me a set of keys.  The leather keychain was wet and warm with his blood and his grip on my shoulder tightened as he fixed his eyes on mine.  The same pleading look bore into my soul, as though he desperately wanted me to do something.  "What?" I asked in a whisper.  "What do you want me to do?"  He looked again toward the parking lot and his eyes faded.  He was gone.

I stood up, looking at the keys in my hand.  One had buttons on it like it controlled the remote locks of a car.  I pressed "unlock" and to my surprise saw a flash of light from inside the garage.  I approached slowly, unsure of what the light might attract, and pressed it again.  The familiar yellow of caution lights illuminated the darkness and I could make out a silver sedan parked in one of the stalls.  With excitement I moved quickly but cautiously to the car.  Looking in the windows it seemed untouched, and I opened the driver's side door and quickly climbed in.  The leather was cold but comfortable, and I gripped the steering wheel tightly.  Slipping the keys into the ignition the car hummed to life, instruments lighting up and displaying fuel capacity and the exterior weather conditions.  Something stirred in the back seat and I jumped back, nervously realizing I was not alone.   "Grandpa?" a small voice called out timidly.  "Is that you?" A young boy, no older than 10, pulled a blanket off his head and climbed up from his hiding place behind the passenger seat.  His gaze met mine and a look of horror spread quickly across his face.  I watched as tears filled his eyes and heard the piercing shriek of his terrified scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment