Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 6- Unexpected House Call

I was sleeping peacefully when I heard knocking on my front door. C'mon people, really? It's Saturday, 7am- the ONE day I get to sleep in! Wrapping my blanket around me I peeked through the window and was shocked to see Tracy in running gear. "Hey, I was just in the area- wanna join me for a jog?" I was so surprised that I nodded groggily and watched her expectant smile light up. I told her I'd be right back, and she jogged in place outside my door as I threw on my shorts, grabbed my sneaks and laced up. Realizing my probable halitosis, I quickly brushed my teeth.

Let's get something straight- I'm not a jogger. I don't run for fun, nor do I understand why people actually enjoy it. I've tried to get into running several times but couldn't ever figure out how to get home once I was worn out. It seemed like I ran until I was tired, then had to walk all the way back. The last time I went jogging I actually took the bus home. No lie.

Anyway, that being said, I actually had fun jogging with Tracy. She didn't pressure me to run faster than I would have wanted to, and we didn't even talk much, at least not about anything important. It was just- relaxing. She's a pretty good runner- really fit. She easily could have run twice the speed we were pacing, but that didn't seem to bother her. She just kept smiling and jogging along. Around the park, past the office, and back towards the center of town. I have no idea how far we went, but when I was tired we slowed down, when I had a stitch in my side she jogged in place patiently while I walked in circles groaning, which made us both laugh.

We stopped at this little cafe on the way back- I got a smoothie with protein added and a chocolate chip muffin. She had a banana and some organic chocolate health shake. We chose a seat out on the patio and as we ate we noticed everyone inside seemed to be glued to something on TV, but we were too far away to see or hear what was being reported. Probably another nut eating bath salts or something.

As we walked back toward my place Tracy mentioned that she wasn't dating that guy in Marketing. When I asked what happened she said "he just wasn't what I was looking for" and left it at that. I didn't want to ask what she WAS looking for. I'm not sure I was ready to hear the answer. We got close to my place and she said a quick "Thanks for coming with me this morning!" and jogged off before I could say anything.

I walked up to my door to grab my paper before I went inside, but it wasn't there. I had hoped to see if it had anything about whatever was on the TV in the cafe. Is today a holiday? No... Newspapers don't take holidays. Weird. In fact, as I looked around I noticed there wasn't a single paper on any of my neighbors' doorsteps either.

Too sweaty to worry about that now. I'm taking a quick shower and then going back to bed. I still owe myself a few Z's...

2 comments: