Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 22- Maternal Misplacement

I sat staring at mother laying in the hospital bed. This was all my fault. Why did I run to the back yard? I could have easily turned and pulled her out the front door. Sure, I wanted to get to the tools, maybe use one as a weapon, but in reality what did I expect to do with one of those rusty items? I didn't have any training. Outside of the rudimentary concepts of swinging and throwing I had little experience with any skills that could be used to defend myself, let alone protect someone else. I touched her hand gently, tracing her veins with my finger.   They were raised above her skin, prominent from years of hauling groceries and rolling dough.  These hands were filled with a lifetime of love and service. "Mom?" I squeezed her hand firmly, hoping to get some indication that she could hear me. Nothing. I choked back the tears and stood up. "I'll be back soon." I said, expecting no response. I kissed her forehead and left the room.

The nurse looked up at me as I walked out the door. Our eyes met and she immediately looked down, smiling slightly. She was pretty, and I looked at the way her light blonde hair was pulled back into a tight little ponytail.  Her uniform might have masked her figure, but I still found her attractive.  When I reached the end of the hall I pressed the large shiny down arrow, calling the elevator. Glancing back toward the nurses station, our eyes met again, and I smiled at her. She smiled back, and blushed just a bit as grabbed a clipboard and went into a nearby room. I looked down at my feet. I missed being smiled at. Tracy had a wonderful smile. I thought of how she would tease me playfully, how she always demanded I be my very best, and did so without making me feel stupid or inferior. It was like she could see who I was going to become, not who I am now.

I felt the elevator arrive and heard the faint ding as the doors opened. A man in a lab coat looked up at me. 
I felt the elevator arrive and heard the faint ding as the doors opened. A man in a lab coat looked up at me. He was tall, in his late 40's, with a hint of grey in his hair. I stepped out of his way and watched as he headed toward the nurses station. He was carrying a yellow box in his hand that looked exactly like the one I found on my front porch. "Excuse me" I called out. He turned and faced me, looking annoyed. "Sorry, I'm sure you're busy. I just have a question." He scrutinized my face as he waited to hear what I had to ask. "That box you're carrying, what's in it?" He looked at me, cocking his head to one side slightly. "Young man, are you a patient here?" I shook my head and pointed toward my mother's room. "My mom was hurt. She's been unconscious for almost 20 hours." He put a false smile on his face. "Sorry to hear that, we're doing everything we can to help her."  He turned to leave but I pointed at the box again. "I've seen a box like that before. What's in it?" His false smile turned to suspicion with a hint of anger. "You've seen this box?" he asked, almost forcefully. "Where?" I stepped back, into the elevator. "I... I..." The elevator doors started to close and he lunged toward them, but it was too late, they shut, cutting him off.

My mind raced and I began to panic. Would he try to pursue me? When the doors open will I find his sweaty form having leapt down the stairs, ready to pounce on me as I exit the elevator? The elevator slowed to a halt and felt the jolt as it locked in place.  The bell rang and as the doors opened my muscles grew taut. Tensely I waited, then looked out slowly. Nothing. I took a step out... still nothing.

I pulled into my garage and parked my Jeep but before I went inside I removed my smartphone and opened the app that controls my security system. It was still armed. I flipped through the history. There were no logs that anyone had disarmed my system or entered my home. To be sure, I selecting the camera tab.  peering into the darkness, I studied the live video feed, looking for any sign of disturbance. Everything seemed to be in its proper place. I walked in slowly, looking around.  It seemed quiet.  Perhaps I was being overly paranoid, but then why shouldn't I be? Lucas died in my arms and was buried with no explanation. My neighbor went crazy and almost hit me with a sledgehammer. My mother's neighbor attacked me. All around I was seeing signs that something was happening, yet it was being kept quiet.  The reports of crime and accidents were increasing, yet the media never makes any mention people losing their minds, with the exception of the rumors about bath salts.  Every reported event is attributed to normal causes or simple coincidence. "Don't worry about everyone else" I told myself.  "Just be ready if it does happen."

My phone buzzed- it was the hospital. Perhaps they are calling to tell me my mother had finally woken up.  "Hello?" I answered. I almost dropped the phone when the girl on the other side told me the news. "What do you mean she's missing?"

No comments:

Post a Comment