Start at the beginning!

Before the Walking Dead there was ... The Pre-Pocalypse!

Chapter 2- Backfire

I can't believe what an idiot Jeff is. He continues to hit on the manager of the accounting department. She has never shown any interest in him, at least not that I have seen. I have heard her demand he get back to his desk a few times, and while he doesn't report to her, she outranks him and could easily get him fired for sexual harassment. It doesn't seem to phase him though. Today she showed up to work and there was a present on her desk, all wrapped up in pink tissue paper. It was ridiculous enough to draw a crowd, and while I didn't normally participate in such spectacles, I decided to walk over and see what all the fuss was about. Everyone knows it was Jeff, even before she looked at the card. He's the only one who would attempt something like that with someone so completely out of his league.

Tracy is stunning. I can't fault Jeff for being enamored with her. Medium height, athletically built, with clean, honest good looks. I'm sure she makes other girls furious with her simple beauty, her ability to roll out of bed and look amazing without any makeup, and what little makeup she does wear is applied lightly and tastefully. In my opinion she's the most attractive woman I've ever seen, let alone in the office, which explains why she is the target of Jeff's and everyone else's attention. I wonder if he knows about the guy she's been dating in the marketing department. I assume they are dating, but maybe not. I think they try and keep their relationship a secret. I've seen them talking around the office, they sit next to each other in the conference room, and I thought I saw him kiss her after walking her to her car after work a few weeks back. I'm not the jealous type, and in this case I have no right to be, especially since I've not spoken more than two or three words to her outside of work related issues.

So here we all are, a crowd gathered Tracy's desk. The men in the crowd all have their eyes glued to her, she looks stunning today in a dark pinstripe pantsuit, and the women are all scowling a bit. I assume they are envious of her, not just for her appearance, but the small gift left on her desk and not theirs, but curiosity roots them to their spot, eyes fixed on the soft pink tissue paper and tasteful purple satin ribbon tied loosely around the top.

Jeff is rocking back and forth on his heels in gleeful anticipation. Whatever is inside that lovely little package is filling him with a lot of joy. Since he is the only one with such eagerness on his face, everyone knows it must be from him.

Tracy opens the card, reading aloud "I'd never eat such a pretty face." And grimacing as though the horrible phrasing brought her actual pain. The group rolls their eyes and all look at Jeff, whose red cheeks betray the look of feigned innocence on his face.  Finally, he smiles and nods and points back at her, as though the best is yet to come.  

As Tracy opens the package I hear several groans.  It must be something tasteless, because Jeff looks positively triumphant.  One woman slaps him in the arm and curses at him before storming off, and several of the guys turn their heads, bursting into laughter as they walk away. Those in the back are now clambering for a peek, dodging their heads left and right, eagerly wanting to be part of the joke or to participate in the mockery. Tracy holds up a stout glass jar with a silver lid, full of crystalized pink material.  I'm standing behind two people but she locks eyes with me and rotates the jar so I can see the label.  "Bath Salts" is says in clear block lettering.  She shrugs at me, half smiling.  I'm unable to stop from staring in her amazing green eyes and she keeps looking into mine, as though curious to see my reaction.  Before I can say anything the HR lady grabs the jar and says "the managers are going to hear about this Jeff." Tracy looks at the HR lady and back at me, giving me a look as though the two of us just got Jeff in trouble.  I smile back, but am perplexed.  She's never said much to me before, yet here we are, in a room full of people, looking at each other as though the room were empty.

The HR lady demands that Tracy follow her to her office to "write a formal report" and practically drags Jeff by the ear like a naughty school boy.  As I walk back to my desk I cannot help but watch Tracy leave, and for a moment I thought I saw her glance back at me before turning around the corner.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, you idiot! Do you WANT her to turn into a zombie! You can always tell the ones who've never had a girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the bath salts in the "zombie attack" were drugs just called bath salts. the bath salts jeff gave her were actual bath salts that you put in bath water. jeff is still an idiot though.

      Delete